- Ansing Foundation
- Located on Vland. The famous Ansing expedition (870-884) explored the
accessible reaches of the gas giant Annikkithar in the
Pretoria system (Deneb).
- Minor human race native to
Answerin/Answerin (Vland 0431). Refer to
Answerin section for additional information.
- Argushiigi Admegulasha Bilanidin (AAB)
- Literally translated as the "Vilani Repository of All Knowledge," the AAB is
located on Vland in the city of Ishimaga. The AAB (and its museum) is perhaps
the most respected scientific and research body in known space. It is a museum,
library, research center, and publishing house rolled into one. Not only does it
collect samples and written materials from all over the explored area of the
galaxy, but it also publishes an encyclopedia known as the Argushiigi
Admegulasha Bilanidin. The vast stockpile of information to be found here is far
beyond that available anywhere else in the Imperium, and thus the AAB has
become a sort of 'clearing house' for new inventions and patents. Its giant
database is freely available to scholars and researchers who come to Vland.
The personnel and resources of the AAB also form the backbone of the faculty and
learning materials of Kasiiga University. Although the AAB sponsors very few
outside research programs, it maintains a vast network of laboratories on Vland.
Due to the often conservative nature of the AAB, individuals who find
employment here are likely to be investigating already existing phenomena,
rather than breaking new scientific ground. The AAB was instrumental in
providing patent and technical information to help with the post-Collapse
reconstruction of Vland.
- Vilani capital world for the sector now known as Antares.
- Famous Vilani poet of the Colonial Period (c. -4000.)
- Gaaruud, Baarid
- Ancient Vilani composer.
- "Certain death" in Vilani. See Meson Gun.
- Hoplites (Marmotophagus var.)
- A large, heavily-armored intermittent found on many worlds throughout the
territory once ruled by the Vilani Empire. The homeworld is not known with
certainty, since early Vilani colonizations and subsequent settlement efforts
resulted in hundreds of worlds with mixed biochemistries. Because of the
carapace and horns, the hoplite is believed to have originated on a world with
many large predators. This and other factors have limited the possible worlds
to less than a dozen, mostly in Vland sector.
Adult hoplites weigh about 1600 kg. and are usually about 2.5 meters long and
one meter wide at the shoulder. They are bilaterally symmetrical, homeothermic
hexapods, with a closed circulatory system incorporating a three-chambered
heart. The most notable feature is the thick, articulated carapace (with many
projecting horns) covering the dorsal surface of the animal's body.
Hoplites are solitary animals, usually feeding on small, burrowing animals. They
locate the burrows by smell, and probe within them using a tough, extendable
proboscis. When the prey is located, the proboscis grabs it, extracts it from
the burrow, and conveys it to the mouth, located on the underside of the head.
When not in use, the proboscis is pulled back under the head.
The paired structures on either side of the proboscis are extremely sensitive
feelers used to detect the vibrations of am approaching predator or the faint
sounds made by a burrowing animal. The forward facing horns are sometimes used
to enlarge a burrow to make inserting the proboscis and extracting prey easier.
When attacked, the hoplite will attempt to run. If cornered, it will turn on
its attacker and begin gyrating its body, slashing with its horns. It takes a
tough, determined predator to bring down an adult hoplite.
- Ruling council of the Ziru Sirkaa, which selects a new Ishimkarun. Members
are elected by the three Vilani megacorporations.
- Secret conspiracy supposed to have controlled Terran history. According to
some Vilani groups, it controlled the Rule of Man and influenced the Third
Imperium. There is no factual basis for its existence.
- Ishimaga Genealogical Society
- Members of this group are proud of the highest percentage of Vilani blood
flowing through their veins. Potential members are carefully screened, both
genealogically and biologically, to ensure that they qualify by their racial
The IGS was formed sometime during the Long Night, but its early history is not
too well known. Offices of the IGS can be found throughout the Imperium, with
headquarters at Ishimaga (Lishun: 0101).
- Archduke of Vland, and later Ishimkarun of the Ziru Sirkaa, the Restored
Vilani Empire during the Rebellion and Collapse eras. As Ishimkarun, Ishuggi
restored rule in the traditional Vilani manner - by proclamation.
- Kaaribilanidin (Vland Club)
- Kaaribilanidin is less violent than many pro-Vilani societies. The group is
not strictly anti-Terran, but believes that Vland, because of its historical
status as the capital of the First Imperium, should have more direct control
over political decisions in the Imperium.
Kaaribilanidin was founded on Vland in 654, shortly after the Civil War. It was
instrumental in influencing Emperor Zhakirov to reject the Solomani Movement's
basic positions and to sympathize with Vilani nobles.
- Kaarike University
- On Vland, part of AAB.
- A large bird of prey native to Vland. Capable of carrying up to 20 kg in
its talons, the bird was trained and used like the Terran carrier pigeon. The
kankurur could carry small cargos as well as paper messages.
- The heads of the three Vilani megacorporations, the "Petit Emperors" of the
- Plant which grows only on St. George/Vland. A important ingredient of
- Vilani musical form.
- Minor race on Wimorel/Thaggesh (Anakod)
- Laskan, Professor Chanis
- Professor of History with Degrees in Vilani History and Linguistics. Author
of Discourses on Comparative Linguisto-Archeologocal Discoveries (1096),
The First Imperium: Expansion and Consolidation (1100), The First
Imperium: The Long Peace (1105), and The First Imperium: Watershed and
- Vilani megacorporation. This firm specializes in the entertainment and
communications industries. It produces musical recordings, two and
three-dimensional movies, books, magazines, and art reproductions.
The Communication Division produces a wide variety of data processing, storage,
and retrieval equipment. The Gourmet Foods Division trades in all manner of
rare and expensive foods, wines, and delicacies. The Arean Transport subsidiary
operates luxury liners which set the standard for fine cuisine and cruises
throughout the Imperium.
The mists of the Long Night hide the origin of this company, but its founding
definitely predates the Third Imperium. The name, at least, belonged to a
Vilani corporation-cum-government bureau during the First Imperium.
- Vilani megacorporation of uncertain lineage. It was in business prior to
the founding of the Sylean Federation. The Naasirka commercial empire has
always sought out new fields to expand into.
Naasirka specializes in manufacturing complex electronic devices. These include
robots, computers, and information storage and processing equipment. It is the
largest supplier of communication equipment to the IISS's Xboat branch.
- Interest: Information retrieval hardware and software, robots,
- Robots: Naasirka is the largest robot manufacturer in the Imperium.
Its robots rarely use innovative technology, but their aggressive marketing
staff has placed more robots than either Makhidkarun or LSP.
Old Naasirka introduced the Rashush line of robots, the first non- military
line, 200 years after the Rule of Man was established. It is still marketed
today. Naasirka retails a standard model tech level 15 servant robot with an
intelligence of 5 and an education of 1 for Cr77,500. Its useful life (at TL
15) is 85 years.
- Home Port: Tauri (Vland 1817).
Transportation operations are concentrated in the Imperium's rimward areas.
- Pre-Collapse Stock Ownership: Igsiirdi family, 13%; Imperial family,
5%; Noble families, 23%; Hortalez et Cie, 11%; Other corporations, 14%;
Investment trusts, 24%; Private, 11%.
- Naasirka Endowment
- A high tech scientific establishment which combined hands-on research with
educational internships. Areas of interest include computer hardware and
software. Although the administrative offices were on Vland, internships were
sponsored throughout the Imperium. As the scope of the Naasirka Endowment was
diminished with the Rebellion and Collapse, so did the Endowment bureaucracy.
The Endowment offices in the Regency continue to operate in the traditional
- Semi-mythological Vilani hero of the Long Night.
- Vilani megacorporation. Trades in all luxury goods from all parts of the
Imperium and many areas beyond. It has very little manufacturing capability --
its starships have always been its major source of income.
Sharurshid traces its lineage back to the First Imperium. During the
Interstellar Wars, Sharurshid was the major bureau in the First Imperium's
- Interests: Trade and speculation, luxury goods. Most rare Terran
wines and spirits travel on the starships of Sharurshid.
- Pre-Collapse Stock Ownership: Sharurshid trust, 46%; Imperial
family, 3%; Hortalez et Cie, 14%; Other corporations, 14%; Private, 15%.
- "Food-processor" class in Vilani society.
- Shurshi cloth
- This delicate, iridescent material is strong for its weight, and a shurshi
garment retains its beauty for many years. This fantastically expensive
substance is produced by an insect native to Zurrian/Vland which has been
altered and conditioned to spin its webbing in sheets. The cleaned cloth is
shipped beyond the sector - for those who can afford it. Attempts to raise
these insects elsewhere have failed.
- The creature is ugly and rodent-like, with dull greenish- gray fur covering
its body, except for the head, which is smooth and has no apparent ears. The
most obvious feature of the shuulamane is the product of its two powerful scent
glands, used to mask carrion and prevent other species from interfering with
Unfortunately, the shuulamane reproduces quickly, with up to four litters of
six to ten young each during Vland's long year. The shuulamane can be found in
almost every region of Vland with a temperate climate, although eradication of
the species in the larger cities has been mostly successful.
Native to Khula (Vland 1920), the shuulamane
was accidentally introduced to Vland around -2450. The animal is now so common
(and so obvious when encountered) that most Vilani do not realize that the
shuulamane is not a native species.
The shuulamane is the subject of many Vilani proverbs and folktales, all
attesting to the animal's vices of stupidity, laziness, cowardice, foul odor,
and lack of cleanliness.
Encounter statistics: 1 carrion-eater, 3kg, 2/2 hits, no armor, 3 teeth,
A9 F3 S3.
- Signal GK
- Abbreviation for Gashimeku Kaalarin, Vilani for 'vessel in distress.'
The code signal GK originated on Vland as a distress signal in maritime and
aviation activity: it was one of the standard communications codes of the First
Imperium. When the Second Imperium succeeded it, signal GK was retained as a
distress signal co-equal with the Terran SOS and Mayday signals.
The Imperial Navigation Act of 103 requires all vessels, whether military or
civilian, to respond to the GK, SOS, or Mayday signals, provided such response
does not endanger the ship and crew of the responding vessel.
- Society for the Protection of Terra
- Members recommended that Terra be kept under Imperial rule, and not be
allowed self-rule again. They argue that since humaniti originated on Terra,
the world should be administered as a preserve by the Imperium, and not be
given the chance to rebel again, "endangering our glorious heritage and the
planet of our origins."
Admiral Donald Mason founded SPT in the 1050s, several decades after the
Solomani Rim War. In the pre-Collapse era the group was strongest in the Vland
- A race of aquatic mantas on Tahaver (Vland:
2017). A Vilani sublight expedition discovered them in -9310 -- they were
the first intelligent race the Vilani encountered.
- Minor human race from Thaggesh/Thaggesh
(Anakod) (Vland: 2530). Refer to Thaggeshi
section for additional information.
- Vilani religion believing a Supreme Being applies a universal law to judge
the conduct of all sentient life. A believer's fate in the afterlife depends on
understanding and observing that law. Members use no holy symbols, but always
wear some form of white garment.
Most noted as pacifists, the Vekkur believe that all things have an equal right
to live. They seek to never harm life, and will not kill under any
circumstances. The name Vekkur comes from a mythical Vilani creature able to
cure disease which the Supreme Being sent as proof of his existence.
- The earliest starfaring human subrace. The typical Vilani is about 1.7
meters in height and weighs about 70 kilograms (slightly smaller than
Solomani). Purebred Vilani (of which few remain) generally have a medium
complexion, with light brown to black hair. Gold eyes are also a common trait.
Vilani blood types are C, D, M, N, and O, with types C and N dominant.
Today, the term "Vilani" is much more cultural than racial (unlike "Solomani".)
A culturally pure Vilani believes strongly in the team approach to nearly all
problems of any significance. To a Vilani, the lone merchant is a fool -
personal risk is a thing to be minimized, not relished. The best way to
minimize such risk is to enter into the task as a group.
- Ziru Sirka Imperial Library of Enlugal
- Enlugal is one the two most important cities on Vland. This library is the
oldest continuously open in explored space.
- One of the largest insurance underwriters in the former Imperium and now in
the Regency. This banking and investment house prefers investing in various
trusts rather than in other megacorporations. The noble Shiishuginsa family
founded Zirunkariish in -425. In 679, Antiama, a member of the family, married
the Emperor Zhakirov.
- Interests: Capital investment, real estate, insurance.
- Pre-Collapse Stock Ownership: Imperial family, 18%; Shiishuginsa
family, 29%; Noble families, 12%; Sharurshid trust, 17%; Hortalez et Cie, 7%;
Investment trusts, 8%; Private, 9%.